Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Pollyanna rides again!

Those who know me (and are probably the only ones reading this) would characterize me as a glass half-full kind of girl. Those who know me really well, know that what comes along with this fabulous almost constant sense of well-being is the really crappy times when it is not well at all. Kind of like a roller coaster but mostly the wonderful highs. Perhaps I am particularly unsuited to the lows because I am so used to the highs. Anyway (and I do mean the word in its proper usage: in any event, any way you look at it, etc) I have been having a bit of a low lately. This always seems to focus itself on my view of myself as an artist. Questions like 'what were you thinking quiting teaching for ceramics?' seem to echo in my head. After a bad day or no days in a row in the studio I become quite disheartened and convinced that I will not be making a living playing with clay. You know, those kind of days where everything you do kind of sucks (mostly the art). I am having one of those kind of couple of weeks. I do know they will pass, and I do know that I will view things differently again, but the during really sucks...and then something happens that turns it all around. Something like receiving a phone message from a show sponsor who tells you that someone in Louisville Kentucky is trying to track you down so that she can buy one of your pieces that she saw when she was on holiday in Canada this summer. Not just any old piece, but one of the two pieces that had been selected to tour in a ceramics show with Les Manning, Katrina Chaytor and Ian Johnson. Then you start to reflect on how great that really all is. You write an email to this lovely woman and direct her to your Etsy site where the piece she wants is still for sale. Then you smile and post to your blog.

No comments: