Tuesday, January 8, 2008

trying new things



I am finding a lot of freedom in my January so far. Also of course a lot of financial concern as the craziness of Christmas consumerism screeches to a halt. Despite my fears of a very slow season I already have two dinnerware set orders. I giggle to myself about this as I know that there are so many potters out there who are wholesaleing to big shops and filling 5 figure orders. This is not my world and I don't even add a yet to that statement because I don't think I want it to be my world. I don't have room for that kind of production and I think it would cause me to have a nervous breakdown from the stress of it all. Week one and I am happily sticking to my new schedule: 3 days production + 1 day of studio/business maintenance + 1 day of exploration of new ideas + 1 day of teaching = 6 days of work. Yesterday seemed to be the day of studio/business maintenance, today was exploration of new ideas, tomorrow is teaching which means that the remaining three days will be production. I like my life.



Close-up of the jars I made today. I am experimenting with lids, using my new calipers. I am also trying out carved wells at the bottom of the pots to serve as glaze catches as well as thick slip on the forms themselves. I am thinking that the slip patterning will show nicely under a few of my glazes.



The lids, which will need to be trimmed tomorrow morning before classes start. I guess I will be up early tomorrow. Does anyone else find it really, really difficult to get up in the winter? It is dark, the house is cold, the bed and duvet is so cozy and warm. It just seems wrong to have to get out of it. I always have these visions of crawling back into bed when everyone is gone, but then between 6:30 when I get up and 8:30 when everyone heads out I wake up. I guess that is a good thing.

No comments: