Friday, August 22, 2008

a bit terrified and excited too

As I mentioned in yesterdays post, I have been doing a lot of thinking about ceramics lately. Foremost has been thoughts about the show 'Woman as Vessel' that I am working on. I have a lot of ideas but none of them have been capturing my interest. Except this one, this little thought that keeps bubbling up to the surface when I am least expecting it. I promptly shove it to the bottom again, hoping that it will go away.

It's not going away. So here is what I am thinking: I am the woman as vessel. All of my shows have been intimately connected to themes that I feel passionately about, but none of them have been about me. I always shy away from this. Sometimes I love an artist's work when they reference themselves and their experiences. Often it comes across as pretentious and self-absorbed. It is a fine line. And perhaps (likely) it is a line that moves depending on who is doing the looking. After much discussion with my ever-supportive husband I have decided that I am going to work my experiences in my body into this next show. Maybe it will be wonderful, maybe it will be pretentious, undoubtably it will be self-absorbed, hopefully it will be interesting to people other than myself. Definitely it is scary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been suggested that all our pots are about our bodies. As people making vessels, not as women in particular. The thought interests me, to think that all my work is somehow about me.

Someone else was asked to figure out what kind of bowl they'd like to be, and then to make those.


I think your subject will be successful - that the particulars of your experience will be interesting, and that most viewers will bring their own story to it, as well.

Kirsten said...

Can't believe we didn't get a chance to talk about this while I was there this weekend. Damn kids and their own self-absorbed lives...

I am excited about this idea. And to see where it might take you. Be brave!

(p.s. we got home safely! And thanks again for the superb hospitality!)
xo

Heidi said...

Exploring our inner most thoughts and feelings is always a bit terrifying - more so when those explorations are shared with others. So - good on ya! And just remember, what are the songs, the performances, the stories, the visuals etc. that touch you the most? Chances are they came from someone brave enough to open up and share their own experiences.

Cheryl Alena Kinzel said...

Thanks you guys! Validation and support is good. I am excited about the process and my head is filled with ideas. Do I seem a bit like a goldfish to you?